Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Livingstone: ethnography



The research essay that I found most relevant to my interests and career goals is ethnography.  Ethnography is a research method in which you as the researcher are a participant in the group you are observing.  So, a person must play two roles in order to get his or her information.  This is a good research method for my future career as an education of young children because it is important to get the best one on one experience and information as possible.  For example, in the Moreno essay, when she used ethnography, she was the leader of the class and she also observed what the students had to say about her topic of interest (people came to the school with different cultures, then the school tells them to write only one way).  She was able to experience what they students were experiencing from the best perspective-a teacher, first-hand experience.  As a teacher, I would like to find information out right on the scene of things happening-pretty interesting.  It is best for my to learn something first hand.

In the future, I will definitely encounter problems in my classroom.  Some children will have problems in different subjects, some children will find certain subjects boring, etc.  My goal as a teacher is to make the learning experience fun and also effective.  So, I would observe and research why a particular problem is happening, then do my best to make things better for the class.   

I found that this research method would suit my interest because as I have said previously, I find it interesting to research a person or theory through the person.  In other words, I like how the research method is mostly live.  The researcher is researching the group of people she is studying about talk and act.  

Within this piece, the genre expectations (to the best of my abilities) are as follows:  

Ethnographics is a genre of writing common in the social sciences.  Ethnography is usually organized in step by step, simple manner.  First, an introduction is written which identifies the problem, places the problem within research, and discuss the research of the specific topic.  Then, the context is next, then the analysis of the data, and then finally the conclusion which wraps up everything.  Ethnograpy is usually written for  a group of a particular culture, customs, beliefs, and behavior, based on information collected through research. Ethnography can also be used like a case study or field work.  

No comments:

Post a Comment