Friday, September 30, 2011

Discourse Analysis...

Define discourse and discourse analysis, discuss how it might be useful to you as a method.


I feel like the two chapters in the book flew right over my head.  


I am having a lot of trouble with discourse/discourse analysis.  Again, it was like reading another language :( .
I think that discourse is writing in a certain way to understand.  It is language in use.  It is the changing of one's writing depending on the purpose and audience.  For example, I would not write my academic papers the way I text so, I am changing my discourse.  It is an approach to write or to speak a certain way that is acceptable to society.  It is ways people approach, adopt, and adapt the language in response to the different locations and situations.


There are two forms of levels in discourse: macro which is the broad view:  cultures, ethnicity, politics and micro: 'face to face' which is close interactions, immediate interactions, and social events.  


Discourse analysis is studying language in context during a literacy event.  It is the study and research of discourse a certain classroom, in this case, is.


From what I got out of pages 24-30 with the first graders, I think that the literacy event can view it in two ways: macro and micro.  If the researcher views it in the micro way, they will view it as one of the children being quite, bossy, etc and the macro would be cultural or racial reasons for what went on in the literacy event.   


Discourse can  be used as a noun and verb.   A noun meaning language in use and a verb meaning it becomes an action that a person or group of people take with others; 'she as discoursing him as a hero' which means she was using language to define him as a hero.


I have some questions since I a confused.  

  • How exactly does one study discourse?  
  • I do not get how one can use discourse as a research method.  
  • What is the researcher researching?  
Because I do not understand it fully, I cannot say discuss how it might be useful to you as a method.


No comments:

Post a Comment