Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Here is my rambling about DA.
Since our class on Monday, I understand discourse analysis much better.  Thank goodness for Professor Chandler!  When reading chapter one and two before Monday, I had no previous knowledge to what discourse analysis was.  Now, after class--I do.  On Monday, I learned that discourse analysis was the study of different discourses being used in a classroom setting.  Every piece of talk, movement, etc. can be examined and can be interpreted into something specific.  The moves each person makes means something.  For example, Katie and Michelle's moves indicated that they had higher power for a reason. Certain moves from a person's unconscious/past causes a person to act a certain way presently.  This research method can give an inside view whether or not people are conscious about doing something or not. 


What is still hard to understand?
How can we put a paper together on this research method?  
How is this a method of research?  
What does DA research?  How a person acts?  I do not understand that...  


What activities do you think would help you meet the learning objectives for our study of discourse analysis?
I think more examples of observing/reading what goes on in a classroom with a group of children.  What we read in class about the first graders really helped me understand how to analyze.  BUT, I do not understand what we studied was discourse??  Isn't discourse the use of language depending on where you are, what you are doing, who you are speaking to..etc?


-Activities where WE DO THE WORK, like Monday.  It helps a lot more instead of just reading about DA.  Hands on is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment